Monday, August 01, 2005

Split Weeks and Monday Mornings

The one-day weekend sucks. Obviously you're not really in the mood to spend the whole day doing all those domestic things that really need to be done, and spending the day indulging yourself is much more appealing, (not to mention essential to one's well-being) so I didn't do the washing or the vacuuming, I didn't mow the lawns, and I most certainly didn't weed the garden.
I did watch a movie, took the dog for a long walk in the sun (beautiful day), and generally lazed around. (I did do the dishes - that one I can't ignore.)
The result ? While I am feeling quite rested, and I'm actually not in my usual Monday bad-mood, there is a nagging feeling of guilt that I didn't do any of those tasks on the "weekend." Also there is the fear that I just may run out of clean socks. The guilt I'm used to, instilled in me at an early age, it is a permanent part of my life. It just doesn't feel right if I'm not feeling guilty, and there doesn' t have to be anything to attach that guilt to. Such is the lot of the gay son of a jewish mother.
The socks however is a very real fear. Irrational, and easily resolved, but having something like that to worry about is much better than worrying about the big things - like how do I pay the phone bill and put petrol in the car this week. . . .

No comments: