Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Kismet ?

I had last week off work. Planned. Nothing major to be done, basically just R & R. Part of the second R was meant to be enjoying the four DVDs I’d ordered online – two from Canada, two from Hong Kong. Orders placed after carefully working out timings based on past experience, so they should arrive during my week off.

The best-laid plans of course tend to fall in a heap. Not one of them arrived. That was OK. I dealt with it. I just raided the local DVD hire instead, and discovered one of my fave new actors Gael Garcia Bernal has a new movie out – his first English language film. Definite compensation. (The film is called “dot the i” and worth watching.)

So, back to work Monday. You’re expecting I’m going to say the DVDs were waiting when I got home, right? Wrong. Nothing. Zilch. Nada.
Tuesday, rostered day off, 10.30 AM, knock on the door. Curiously the dog doesn’t bark, just wags his tail. It’s the postman, with three parcels for me. Yep, all the DVDs, all on my day off. Not surprisingly didn’t get too far away from the TV yesterday.

Nice and neat right?
What’s really curious is that Tuesday wasn’t meant to be my RDO. I swapped it late on Monday with one of the kids at work so she could make a doctor’s appointment on Thursday.

So was it meant to be? Kismet? Fate? The Gods smiling reward on a minor good deed?
If I believed in that I’d probably say it was.
Happy coincidence more like it. I think the word I want is serendipitous. Sounds good anyway.

No comments: