Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Lights are bright,
Pianos making music all the night,
And they pour champagne
Just like it was rain.
Its a sight to see,
But I wonder what became of me.

Crowds go by,
That merry-making laughter in their eyes,
And the laughter's fine
But I wonder what became of mine.

Life's sweet as honey,
And yet its funny,
I get a feeling that I can't analyse.
It's like, well maybe,
Like when a baby
Sees a bubble burst before its eyes.

Oh I've had my flings,
I've been around and seen most everything.
But I can't be gay,
For along the way
Something went astray,
And I can't explain,
Its the same champagne,
Its a sight to see,
But I wonder what became of me.

lyric by E."Yip" Harburg

That's the song I was thinking of when I named this. Guess I wasn't thinking too clearly cos I didn't exactly quote it very accurately.
There was going to be a sub-title too - along the lines of "Or - How Did I Wind Up In A Call-Centre?"
How indeed. This was meant to be a fill-in job, just to keep me fed, clothed and sheltered until I found a "real" job.That was 6 1/2 years ago. Sad really, for quite a while there this was possibly the best job I'd ever had, interesting, exciting new company, treated you well, and an amazingly great bunch of people to work with.Some of the people are still great........ 'Nuff said.

1 comment:

Mel said...

This is so all of us here - one day we look around at the other Undead Australians around us and realize with horror that we are 'one of them, one of them' AND working in a Call Centre. The urge to impale oneself on our pen is overwhelming. Nice Post.