Wednesday, February 01, 2006


BROKEBACK DAY


Australia Day public holiday last week, an expected temperature over 40C, and the long awaited (for me anyway) opeing of Brokeback Mountain.
Arranged to meet N for the second session, arrive there an hour or so before to find the seesion sold out, and people already queued to get in and get their preferred seating. Bought tickets for the next sessionwhen N arrived, then headed off to find a cool bar. Found a new one to me - a Bier Cafe. Like the idea and liked the bar. Kinda lucky we couldn't get in to that session of the movie, N and I had a bit if catching up to do. Talked our heads off, and didn't have too many beers.

So. The film. I'd been so looking forward to it. I was not disappointed. I have to say straight up this is not a gay film any more than it is a cowboy film. Its a film about two people who fall in love, unexpectedly and dangerously, a love they initially cannot understand or accept. So, is it just a love story, a sort of chick flick with a twist ? No, there is much more to it. I does deal with prejudice, and with what the pressure to conform can do to people's lives (pay attention to the wives) but it is basically about love. And it succeeds in being the most powerful film about that overworked topic I've seen in a long. long time.

It helps of course to have two of the hottest young actors on the scene playing the leads. Heath Ledger's performance is nothing short of amazing, supported by Jake Gyllenhal's beautifully tailored character. It is Ledger's film (as it should be, it is Ennis' story). Ang Lee's direction never falters, his vision of the film is breathtaking.

Ten days since I saw it and I can't shake it. Still thinking about it, still feeling for the characters. Wonderful extract in the weekend papers from Annie P. stating she has experienced something few writers get - to see a film of their work that goes beyond what they are able to achieve with words alone.

I have been on a 10 day campaign to encourge everyone I know to see this film. Consider yourself encouraged to do so.

1 comment:

Mel said...

You know how I feel about this film, and you know how much I adore your enthusiasm for it.